Monday, May 23, 2016
Some suggested quiz questions from chapter 6-9 of The Cave and the Light
Chapter 7. Knowledge is Power
11. What was Aristarchus’s theory that was an “astonishing leap into the future?”
22. Eratosthenes used Pytheas’s book and performed some calculations to formulate a thesis that took 1,500 years to prove. What was that thesis?
33. Archimedes was the first mathematician to use the concept of ____________ in his work. It is the cornerstone of calculus.
44. What was a basic Aristotelian principle that Archimedes grasped from his years at Alexandria?
Chapter 8. Hole in the Soul: Plato and Aristotle in Rome
11. “an Archimedean problem” was Cicero’s pet phrase for what?
22. What was the intellectual breakthrough that Polybius had that became a model for all historians in the future?
33. In researching and writing his Histories, Polybius “hit upon the Roman’s one fatal weakness. What was it?
44. The balance between what two concepts does Cicero believe is essential for the future of all free men?
Chapter 9. Dancing in the Light: The Birth of Neoplatonism
11. What is the term that described the emptiness and meaninglessness that “Rome’s finest minds and spirits,” felt about the “empire’s unparalleled prosperity and splendor?”
22. According to Herman, who is the first romantic anthropologist?
33. What is Seneca’s solution to life’s inevitable cruelties?
44. According to Herman, Plotinus “was one of the most important and influential thinkers to appear between Aristotle and Saint Augustine.” What school of thought is he credited with founding?