2. What antisocial conclusion is embodied by Thrasymachus and Callicles?
3. Who does Goldstein describe as a composite of JFK, Trump, Petraeus, Muhammad Ali, Julian Assange and others?
4. What 19th century philosophical classic was anticipated by Alcibiades?
5. How does "the glory that was Greece" challenge our core values?
6. What's a daimon?
7. What state or attitude does Plato consider paradigmatically philosophical?
8. What's the characteristic delusion of interpersonal love, according to Plato?
9. When and why does Plato say people should be content in relationships with those they find less physically attractive than others?
10. What does Plato find confusing about modern "Platonic love"?
- Do you think you have an accurate understanding of your own attractiveness, virtue, and wisdom? Is such knowledge best acquired by introspection, interaction with others, or what?
- Do you admire people who pride themselves in doing whatever they can get away with, and think evading or breaking social rules and expectations makes them smart?
- Would you want to live the life of an Alcibiades? Does he appear to fit the profile of someone suffering NPD or some other clinical deficiency? Does our culture think too highly of self-absorbed charismatic people?
- "...in such a way was the fate of Athens determined by one man's drive to make himself the focus of everyone's attention, his name on everyone's lips" - remind you of anyone, at least with regard to personal ambition for public notoriety? 238
- Do you think our changing views on sexual morality have brought us closer to the Greeks? In a good way? 242
- Is it dangerous or undemocratic to believe in the existence of people who are intermediate between mortals and gods?
- Is there something wrong with people who aren't "transformed" by love? 256
- Is impersonal love of "the True-the Beautiful-the Good" higher and better than love of & for another person, and than self-love?
- Is it ever appropriate for students and teachers to become emotionally and /or sexually involved? 264
- Is it ever acceptable to enter (unilaterally) into a deliberately passionless relationship or marriage? 266
- Is "Eye Rampantly Roving" inappropriately self-indulgent, to flirt with other men even though she says she loves her husband? 271
- Would you ever marry someone you found physically unattractive?
- How would you have answered any of the letters from the lovelorn differently than Margo and Plato did?