Up@dawn 2.0

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Play and Education

While reading Plato at the Googleplex, I found it interesting that play and education have the same roots and are nearly the same word in Greek. Thinking about this, I can understand a reason why. For children, play is the easiest and most effective way for them to learn because it keeps their interest and stimulates their brain.  When I was a child, I always had these video games that I loved playing. These games though weren't so much for pleasure as they were for education. Within these games there were certain aspects of mathematics, reading, science, et cetera. However, it just felt like play to me as a child. I never once thought of it as a means for education when I was playing it. Instead I enjoyed it and it taught me so many things and kept me learning when I didn't know I was learning. I can definitely attribute my success in school partially to these games. This example is a reason why I see and understand without a doubt why, in Greek, the words play and education were so similar. Now, taking this to our school system and modern education, I see a massive flaw. There is no room for fun or play in school anymore. It is all just work. This is possibly one of the reason why our school systems are not very well accomplished and that education is decreasing in effectiveness. If the school system integrated more play or fun activities over just monotonous work, then maybe we could have future generations that are more successful and move our civilization forward at a faster pace. I hope that one day this will happen in our school systems, but for now, I will simply apply this to my children when I have them because every parent wants or should want their children to succeed as best they can.

No comments:

Post a Comment