1. What is the chief thing that philosophy can do for us?
2. What originally unpolitical Greek school of philosophy prepared the way for Christianity?
3. What Renaissance philosopher was its most typical exponent?
4. Whose fundamental certainty of his own existence led to "insanity" and a loss of common sense in philosophy?
5. To what two opposite dangers is every community exposed?
You may also reply to classmates' posted quiz questions. Claim a base for each correct answer up to five today (and, up to however many questions appear on my quiz each day).
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Russell says philosophy occupies the No Man's Land between science and theology (xiii). Are scientists and theologians not philosophical? Or are they philosophical in a way different from Russell's? Do you like his definition of philosophy? Are you philosophical, by his definition?
- Is your duty to God more imperative than your duty to the state, to your fellow citizens, or to humanity? xvi
- Does Copernican astronomy influence your personal philosophy? How? (Or, why not?) xviii
- Do you acknowledge the authority of any individuals or institutions to interpret the truth for you? WHy or why not? xx
- Please post YOUR DQs. Each is worth a base.