Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Section 9 Group 3 Exam 2 Study Guide
1.What was Rousseau’s famous book on society and freedom
a. The Social Contract
2. David Hume was influenced by ___________________
a. John Locke
3. (T/F) For Locke, questions of personal identity were connected with moral responsibility
4. René Descartes believed what could prove God’s existence?
a. The ontological argument
5. What was Voltaire’s famous quote about protecting free speech?
a. I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
6. Instead of focusing on abstract philosophical questions, what did Voltaire believe humans should do?
a. Get out there and help the world.
7. (T/F) Voltaire agreed with the German philosopher, Leibniz.
8. What was the name of the character in Candide that is based on Leibiniz?
9. What’s the difference between psychology and philosophy of the mind?
a. Psychology is a scientific approach and involves observation
b. Philosophy of the mind is a an analysis of the concept of the mind.\
10. Did Hume believe in the Ontological argument?
a. No, he did not.