Thursday, November 6, 2014
Group 1 Section 10 Practice Questions
1. Voltaire's book, Candide, directly opposed the ideas of which philosophical peer?
2. Hume's book, ____________________, challenged many philosophical beliefs and included a chapter attacking the Design Argument.
A: Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding
3. Which mathematical discipline did Spinoza model his writings after?
4. Which philosopher argued that it is better to wager that God exists rather than not believe?
5. Berkely was the originator of what metaphysical philosophy?
A: Subjective Realism
6. Descarte's theory of dualism posited that the ____________ and the ___________ are seperate.
A: mind, body
7. Which philosopher was a major influence on the writers of the Declaration of Independence with his liberal theory?
8. The beliefs of Hobbes and Rousseau are diametrically opposite concerning humanity's __________?
A: State of nature
9. Spinoza was excommunicated by the Jewish Church for what religious idea?
10. Which moral philosophical belief judges the morality of actions on its adherence to rules?