1. What's usually taken to be the moral or point of the Abraham & Isaac story, for Christians? OR, Who was the Danish Socrates and what was most of his writing about?
2. Did Kierkegaard, himself a Christian, think it might be necessary for people of faith to commit morally wrong actions? OR, Did he consider religious faith rational?
3. What 20th century atheistic French philosopher (or philosophical movement) took inspiration from Kierkegaard?
4. What was the plight of 19th century industrial workers that made Karl Marx angry? OR, How did Marx explain history? OR, What did Marx mean by alienation?
5. What was Marx's famous slogan expressing the cooperative intentions of communism? OR, What was his famous declaraction alluding to Rousseau's Social Contract? OR, What did Marx call religion? OR, What did Marx want to do that he thought previous philosophers hadn't done?
6. What "complacency among his fellow Christians" did Kierkegaard criticize? (PB)
7. Which American critic was an aspiring socialist as a young man, a fan of Marx & Nietzsche, and a sharp critic of lawyers? OR, Which fan of Emerson's said New Age pseudo-philosophy resembles American religion? OR, Which Palestinian New Yorker siad "no one today is purely one thing?"
DQ: Would you kill another human being if you thought an authoritative voice in your head was commanding you to do so? Will you tell your children that you would, and encourage them to do likewise? What will you tell them about questioning authority , thinking for themselves, and ethical conscience? What will you tell them about psychopathic & cult-driven violence in America? What will you tell them about Malala? ["teleological suspension of the ethical" etc.]
DQ: What did Marx get right, and what did he get wrong? Do you expect to be employed at some point in your post-collegiate life, or maybe from then on, in some form of alienating or exploitative work? What will you do about that, if it happens?
1.152-3 2.154 3.156 4159,161 5.161-2 6.167 7.212-3, 217, 230
ALSO OF NOTE:
- LH: Life's Sacrifices, Soren Kierkegaard
DQ: Kierkegaard talks a lot about Abraham and his sacrifice lamb, which was his son Isaac. If called by God to sacrifice your child would you do it, would you have enough faith to even temp it and expect God to show up at the last minute?
FQ: What does Kierkegaard say faith requires? Risk p154
FQ: What is the name of Kierkegaard book that tells about this sacrifice of Abraham? Fear and Trembling p152
FQ: What is the Danish meaning of the name Kierkegaard? graveyard p153
A video of Abraham taking Isaac to be sacrifice for the lamb:
DQ: Would you that the youth are just "critics" and are appalling?
Link: Article in the New York Times about Irving Howe: http://www.nytimes.com/1993/05/06/obituaries/irving-howe-72-critic-editor-and-socialist-dies.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
FQ- True or False. Kierkegaard did not use his name when writing books or other works of literature (true)
FQ- What was Karl Marx's vision( from each according to his ability, to each according his need)