Friday, February 14, 2014
Teenage Mutant Ninja Philosophers
First off, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR. OLIVER!
Here are the questions from last class:
1. Who wrote about "What It Means to Be an American" and said effective social critics & philosophers challenge their societies from the inside?
2. What was at the heart of Stoicism?
The idea that we are responsible for what we feel and think.
4. Name one of Cicero's "problems with growing older."
It gets harder to work, body gets weaker, and death is close.
5. Which Stoic philosopher took his own life due to a Roman emperor, Nero, accusing him of plotting against him and telling him to commit suicide?
6. Which American philosopher rejected the name "pragmatism," threatened suicide, and said we should only entertain "real and living doubts"?
7. What "kind and good" philosopher said (while still a young man) "my first act of free will shall be to believe in free will"?
During class today we talked about Stoicism which I thought was pretty cool. Do you guys believe we control our feeling and emotions or do you think they are affected by the situation?
During our group session we talked about our project a little bit and decided that the people that are presenting can pick little clips from Breaking Bad to go with the written work.
The reading for Monday:
Augustine, Boethius (LH); Santayana, Dewey, Quine
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!